Try this delicious way to preserve your summer harvest.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoon mustard seed
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 small, firm tomatoes of assorted colors (yellow, orange, green, brown)—about 1 pound—each sliced lengthwise into 8 wedges
- ½ cup julienned red bell pepper
1. Warm oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in garlic and cook for one minute. Add mustard seed, cumin, turmeric, and red pepper flakes; cook for one minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
2. Add vinegar and sugar; return pan to stove and cook over medium heat for three to four minutes or until sugar melts. Stir in salt; remove from stove and cool slightly again.
3. Place half the tomatoes and pepper pieces in a sterilized quart jar. Add half the vinegar mixture. Put remaining tomatoes and peppers in the jar, then pour in the remaining vinegar mixture. Cover and refrigerate for four hours.